This recipe is courtesy of my mom. This pie has become one of her signature dessert this summer. I saw when she made it, how everyone couldn’t get enough of it. When I watched her make it, it took her no time to put it together. But again, watching my mom cook or bake, looks effortless. She makes everything looks so easy. How does she do that!
My daughter and I went home (Toronto) for almost the whole summer. It’s a way for my daughter to get to know my side of the family and to get to know more about where I was brought up. And it’s always a great way to broaden her English speaking skills.
Getting back to our time at home. There is no place like home. I know it sounds cliché but it’s so true. Being back home, helps me to regroup myself and realized the things I missed and also how much I’ve changed as a person. The person I was when I used to live there is no longer that person.
I value my time with my family and friends each time I go back home. I like to sit in the kitchen I watch my mom cook. She is indeed the master of her kitchen. I ask her about recipes and how to make certain dishes. She seems to know it all when it comes to cooking and different recipes. In her kitchen we seem to spend a lot of time, there is where we talk about all things possible while she is preparing and cooking meals. One thing about my mom, when she cooks, she doesn’t want anyone to help her, she has to do it all herself, or else she is not satisfy with the outcome.
Her Blueberry Upside Down Pie is so delish for the summer or any occasion, served with vanilla ice-cream…yummy!!!!!
- 2 tbsp melted Butter (room temperature)
- 3 tbsp packed Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Blueberries
- 1 ½ cup Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Power
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup melted Butter (room temperature)
- ½ packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ½ cup 2% Milk (at room temperature)
- Spread 2 tbsp melted butter as listed above (in point 1) in a pie dish/pan.
- Sprinkle 3 tbsp brown sugar as listed above (in point 2) on top of the spreaded butter in the pie pan.
- Then sprinkle 1 cup blueberries on top of the brown sugar in the pie pan. And set pan aside.
- In a medium bowl, swift flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, cream together ¼ melted butter, ½ cup brown sugar until smooth.
- Then add eggs and continue to cream together.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add milk and mix well until smooth.
- Gently fold in flour mixture by hand or with mixer.
- Add in the remaining 1 cup blueberries and fold in gently by hand.
- Spread the cream mixture into the pie pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 40 minutes (depending on how fast and powerful your oven is, you may want to start checking on it around 30 minutes into baking. In my oven its take 30 minutes to bake. My mom’s oven it takes 40 minutes.)
- Leave pie to cool for about 15 minutes or so. Run a knife around pie to loosen the sides. Place large platter or plate on top of the pan. Using oven mitts or potholders and using both hands, hold platter or plate and pie pan firmly together and invert; shake gently, allowing pie to settle on platter or plate. Cool at least 20 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice-cream.