When I make brownies, it’s always a major hit in my family especially with my husband who LOVES his chocolate and this brownie recipe gives him all the chocolate fix he can get in one or two squares. Yes, I have to limit him with this one, if not he can go a little crazy eating them and before I know it, they can all be finish in a wink of an eye. 🙂 Ok, may not in a wink of an eye but in a couple of days they can go. This is the same for my father-in-law, he also goes crazy for chocolate and for my brownies. My mother-in-law says she also has to watch him (my father-in-law) when he eats these as he can finish them in one sitting. Yes, the men in my family, here in Italy are a little crazy for their sweets especially anything to do with chocolate…they lose their heads for it!!!
I love to bake but I’m not a big sweet/chocolate eater but I love to bake and cook for others especially for my family as I love to see their joy and satisfaction that come from their faces from eating what I make. As I said before in my previous blog enteries, baking and cooking gives me a sense of relaxation and distress me from the busy hectic life that at times consumes me. I find the creative process of cooking and seeing food/dishes come together is very self-satisfying and rewarding as others enjoy what I make..for me I feel good! Like I said, I’m no fancy cook but for someone like me, who never like to cook until recently, it is something very satisfying and at times amaze me, that it actually taste fantastic! Yes, I surprise myself at times! 🙂
Now, getting back to my brownies, I often add some dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet) to give it that extra chocolate taste, which my husband loves. Yes, I make these especially for him at the end of a work week at least once a month or so. Our motto is “you only live once, so why not indulge, but everything in moderation!!!”
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter (melted)
2 tablespoons water
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Baking Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped walnut nuts (optional)
3/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- 2. Grease and line 13×9-inch baking pan ( I prefer to line my baking pan for this as I find it is easier to cut the brownies and take them out when they are cool).
- Combine sugar, butter and water in large bowl with a mixer or by hand.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract into the sugar butter mixture.
- In a medium size bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the flour mix into sugar mixture.
- Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky.
- Cool completely in pan.
- Cut into bars.